Tuesday, December 18, 2012

April

Slowly waddling into the quiet meadow, clutching my cardigan, holding the hem of my dress, walking carefully. I breathe in the fresh air. I felt a kick in my belly. Relax little baby...I know you are hungry... I took a bright red apple from my bag and had a bite. I found a bench and sat there. Enjoying the sight of the little ducklings swimming in the pond with their mother. I remembered being really ecstatic and overjoyed when I was told by my doctor that I was pregnant. So was Samuel.

Samuel and I was married for 2 and a half years. Our marriage was not accepted by me parents because Samuel is a soldier serving the nation. But there wasn't a need to go back to the war field at that moment. They still didn't want their only daughter to go running off with a man who doesn't have a decent job. So, I left them and went to marry Samuel.

I knew Samuel for 5 years before we were married. During the time when Samuel was off the war field, he worked as a clerk. I knew that he was the one to live for the rest of my life with. I knew I was the happiest woman on Earth when I said 'I do' in front of God, family and friend.

Being married to Samuel for the 2 and a half years was the best I have ever had. I love him, and I could feel that he loves me too. He taught me a lot. He taught me how to make the best lasagna, he taught me how to play basketball, he taught me

I remember one morning waking up running straight to bathroom. I was retching into the toilet bowl. Samuel was so worried about me. "Kelly, are you okay?! Do you need to see a doctor?" Before I could answer, I blacked out.

The next thing I saw was Samuel's face. "Hey Sam..." He ran straight to me side. "Oh my goodness Kelly...You gave me a fright there just now." I noticed then that I was in an unfamiliar room. "Samuel...where are we?" I was looking around the room. Before Samuel could answer anything, Doctor Fredric came in. "You are in the hospital..." I was worried. Is something wrong with me? Am I sick? "Don't look so worried, Mrs. Nelson... Well, since both you and you husband are here, I would like to tell you the good news." He continued, "Congratulations Mister and Missus Nelson, you both are expecting a healthy child next April..." I was overjoyed when I heard the news, so was Samuel. "Kelly! Oh my goodness! I can't believe it! You are pregnant!" At that moment, I, too, was not believing.

The first trimester of my pregnancy was a very adventurous ride. Morning sickness was a mad thing. Waking up every morning, retching in the toilet. Even Samuel was worried for me. .Then, I had the cravings, especially for red apples. I remember waking up one night asking Samuel, "Sam? I am hungry..." I saw him rubbing his eyes and yawning. "What do you want?" he whispered. "I want some red apples..." I remember him being wide eyed.

After the first couple of months, my belly started to show its baby bump. We decided to find out the gender of our child. We went to the doctor to get an ultrasound. During the ultrasound, I could see the face of the doctor. "You will have a daughter!" Samuel was happy! He kept on saying, "We are going to have a little girl! A little princess!" I was so happy till I was actually crying tears of joy!

But joy was soon to be cut short. Samuel was called back to the army. The last few weeks before he gets deployed was sad. I remember him building a small chair for our daughter. It was painted white with little pink flowers. It was beautiful for our little girl.

The day he gets deployed to the war zone was the saddest. Donned in his army uniform and carrying his bag in front of the flight area. I was crying my eyes out, I didn't want Samuel to leave. Samuel smiled sadly and said, "Kelly, don't cry...I will be back soon. You and our daughter must wait for me, alright?" He kissed me and kissed my swollen belly of 5 and a half months. I waved sadly at him, never knowing that was the last I saw him, alive.

It was only after 2 months when I had gotten the dreaded call. "Missus Nelson? I am sorry to inform you that your husband, Mr. Samuel Nelson had died in combat..." In an instant, I screamed in dismay. Tears fell.

In less than a week, Samuel's body was sent back home to be buried. When I saw his cold body sleeping in the coffin, I couldn't take it any longer. I broke down and cried.

I was given whatever Samuel had when he was shot during combat. It was his wallet and a letter. I opened the envelope. As I read, I cried.

All that was in the past. I am due to give birth any time now. But I still wanted to see the ducklings. I opened the letter again and read it, even thought I had read it so many times that I could recite it by heart, but I still wanted to read it again.

"Dear Kelly,

Hey there, my beautiful wife. I know this is really unexpected, but I had the sudden urge to write to you. I know you must have a hard time moving around now since out little girl is getting bigger day by day.

Every night I always wonder what would our little princess would look like. Would she have your twinkling eyes? My dimples? Your smile maybe? All I know is, she will be the most beautiful child.

I had been thinking of names for our little girl. My bunk mates thought of Isabella, Catherine, Helena, Samantha and many more. But I thought of a much more simple and beautiful name, April. April is the month she will be born. Simple and full of meaning.

I am waiting for the both of you, my two precious jewels. Remember, I am always there.

Loved,
You beloved husband and father,
Samuel Jaccob Nelson"

I wiped the tears off my cheeks. I stood up and walked towards the pond. A breeze came, I felt invisible hands hugging me from behind. I knew it was Samuel, especially when little April kicked me again.

Hey little April, feel those hands hugging you? Its daddy. He came to see you.

This is the photo that inspired this story. Found it from facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment