Friday, December 14, 2012

Dear Future Self

I was cleaning my stack of boxes and papers in my storage room when I found an envelope. It was addressed to 'My Future Self'. I remembered when I was 15, I had written a letter to the older me to ask for 'advice'. Yeah, I know. I was very naïve. I couldn't remember the details of the letter, so I decided to opened it.

"Dear older self,

I really don't know what to do...I am frustrated. I am slowly failing my studies. I am losing my boyfriend. My parents are not listening to me. I feel as if I have nothing in this world. I don't think I will ever find a better boyfriend than Mike. I feel as if mum and dad are not supporting my decision in my future dream career. I feel as if my life is so useless and boring... Please tell me if my life will turn for the best in the future...please.

From,
The 15 year old me."

I actually laughed at the letter. Then I had a thought, 'What if I reply to this letter?'

So, I took out my pen and a piece of paper and started writing...

"Dear my 15 year old self,

I know you were frustrated, you are not sure what to do. I understand everything. You were just in your teens. You were rebellious. Mum and Dad are just trying to help you stay at the right path. I mean, c'mon, being a stripper at a club isn't the best choice of career, is it? Your life wasn't boring and useless, you are just waiting for something more interesting to focus at.

And Mike, well, he is an ass, you just haven't opened your eyes yet. I know you love him all, but you have no idea how is he really like. He is just using you as a rebound. I can assure you that you will find a good guy. Yes, I can say now that you will get you heart crushed for a few more times, but after that, you will find a great guy. You will get married with a guy you truly love and have a spectacular job and career.

I think I will give you a little hint about him.

Your Mr. Right will hold you tight when the thunder strikes because he know that you are terrified of the thunderstorm. He will help you massage you ankle when you sprained it. He will hold you tightly while the both of you dance. He would hug you when you cry. He would kiss you whenever you want. And he would take the trouble to do a handmade ring and proposed to you during you birthday party by the seaside, something you had hoped since you were a child. Yeap, he is the one.

So don't worry about all this and just live life to the fullest, everything would fall in its place, just be patient and let God take the wheel.

Love,
The 25 years old 'future' me."

I smiled and placed the letter together with the earlier letter. Suddenly, I felt someone looking over my shoulder, with a hand on my waist.

"Ready to go, my beautiful bride to be?" Jordan said. I smiled and said, "Of course my handsome groom to be." I kissed him on the lips as I kept the papers back into the box.

'No worries, my younger self, you are in good hands...'

No comments:

Post a Comment