Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Dandelions

I knew Will from college. He is the sweetest guy I have ever known. We both had mutual interests and same hobbies that had us get along right from the start.

Soon, we fell for each other and found out about the feelings. And then we got together. I remember going to the countryside to look at the beautiful nature there. We could spend the whole day lying down there, talking. That was the kind of dates we would go to.

Will was a shy boy and I knew that too. I was the more talkative one. I remember one day when I was telling him about something uninteresting I saw him taking out something shiny, it was a ring hanging from a metal chain. From his shy demeanour, I knew he had a hard time trying to give that necklace to me. But I waited for the day he would.

I remember also that he told me he wanted to intern at a construction side near his uncle's place. "Do you really have to go?" I whined. He laughed and tap his finger cheekily on my nose, "I will just be there for the summer, and its very near too. Just a half an hour taxi ride..."

He must have noticed my pouting face when he plucked a dandelion and showed it to me. "When you miss me, just think of a dandelion. Blow it and you will see many tiny dandelions floating around you. Just imagined me as the tiny dandelions floating around you. You will never feel lonely." He cheekily blew the dandelions in front of my face. I squealed and chased after him. But I never thought that that would be the last time I ever had fun with him.

One rainy day, I have gotten a call from Will's sister, "Janice, Will is in trouble...you better come to the hospital, quick..." Her voice had the tinge of worriedness that made my heart squeeze in a bad way. I got my car keys and wallet, and drove as far as I could.

I ran towards the ICU when I reached. I must have looked like a hysteria with the stormy wind that caught my hair. I found Michelle, Will's sister at the waiting room. "Janice, what am I to do? I'm scared..." She was sobbing waterfalls, I tried to asked her what happened. Slowly, she told me everything.
Will had a terrible accident at the site. He had saved another man's life by letting the steel bars fall on Will while he was covering him. He suffered a very bad head injury and was bleeding profusely.
I fely scared all of the sudden, afraid of losing him, scared of what lies in the near future of matter of minutes. I hoped and prayed he would be alright. But my prayers weren't answered.

The surgeon came out, telling the both of us Will's life is slowly slipping away. We both ran into his ward. I crashed at the side of his bed, crying my eyes out.

"Will! Don't leave me!" I cried. Michelle couldn't even speak a word.

I saw him giving me a weak smile. He whispered softly, "Janice, I am sorry. I want to stay with you forever but I know my time is soon be up. Soon I will not be breathing anymore. I am sorry..."
I cried and sobbed, "Will, please...don't go... I do anything, anything! Just don't leave me!"

My vision was blurred by my tears, my voice weak and hoarse. I saw Will holding something in his hand. It was the necklace.

The last words he spoke was, "I'm sorry, Janice. I love you..." And he breathe his last.
Michelle and I were a wrecked for months. We were grief stricken by Will's death.

I wore the necklace he gave me and had never taken it off. I miss Will dearly and cried constantly whenever I thought of him. But I would always go to the meadows at the countryside where it is filled with pretty dandelions. I know Will is still with me, wherever he is.

2 comments: