Tuesday, December 6, 2011

5 years in the world of choral music, never regretted once

I remember 5 years ago, when I was 13 in January, I was thinking what to join for extracurricular activities. There's bands, English society, art society, cheerleading, scouts, etc. I wanted something less risky, so, cheerleading was out of the point. I wanted something to do with music. So, either it was choir or band. I thought, band is hard, learning another instrument was tough whereas choir is just singing and I had experience before in choir during pri school days. So, I joined that. And my goodness was I wrong when I said it was easy. I remember going into the stuffy choir room on a Friday to get the registration form. In the room, there were many members from the afternoon session, both new and old. The new members were told from both the teacher advisor, Pn Loh Aik Ban and our then president, Carmen Leong to attend the practice the next day.

I remember during the first practice that Saturday, we were warming up our voices. Then, we were introduce to or coach, Ms Susanna Saw. The older members left to practice outside. One by one, us newbies were given a voice test. Nearly everyone there were put to soprano, I on the other hand was put to alto which I never regretted til this day. From the first day itself, I had learned that, sectionals are boring but essential to a song. I remember the first half of my first year in choir, I had problems learning my alto part of any songs given. I would always get distracted and went on singing the soprano part all the way. Another problem was that, I sang using throat voice all the way. I couldn't change my voice to head voice. From choir, head voice is good, throat voice is bad, that was what I had learned. I also remember that the choir had an audition for the up coming competitions. Sadly, I didn't got in. But, I learned the criteria to be in the team, expression, and good technique.

Actually, I wanted to quit after the first year ended, but, one thing kept me going for 5 years. In around the middle of the year, a choral event prevented me from quiting. I went and joined the young singers choral festival, currently known as Malaysian Choral Eisteddfod. There, I had changed my whole prospective about choirs. That year, I had learned how to dance many Sarawak dances together with their songs. Also with folk songs and various other genres. I was so happy then that I promised myself to go annually.

After choral fest, I changed my ways in choir. I tried relearning all the songs for my part. During the second half of the year, there was another audition for a state competition. I went and try out for it and I got into the team thanks to Pn Loh for giving me the opportunity. We practice under Ms Susanna and Mr Ng Jin Keat for many many weeks from morning til evening, skipping many days of school. But, it was worth it. We had gotten 2nd, behind SMK Kepong. Since then, I fell in love with performing.

In the second year and til my senior year, I had been in the school team and also had been leading the altos. I was given the opportunity to learn from friends every where.

I had met many music inclined people, Ng Shyh Poh, Aaron, Tyler, Johan, Tracy, Suk Yin, Wen Chin, Regina, Prof. Andre, Branko Stark, Jonathan Valaesco, Mr Ian, Ms Sonya AND MANY MANY MORE.

I had been learning music from friends I met in MCE like Andrew, Darrel, Sarah etc. I had learned so many skills like leadership skills, sight singing, solo singing, conducting etc. I would like to say a huge thank you to you all that showed me the choral music world.

Thank you to my awesome seniors in choir who had taught me so much for so many years. Thank you to my beloved juniors who let me spread the knowledge of choral singing to you. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment