Sunday, December 25, 2011

Knots and Flutter under the Misletoe

I remember asking my Mama when or how did she knew that Daddy was the one for her. She said, "When he kissed me for the first time, I felt the flutter in me. The flutter sealed our faith, it was just meant to be. Myth says that when two people kiss for the first time and when they feel the flutter, you will know that she or he is the right one. But, when you feel the knots in yourself, then, the two of them are not meant to be. Understand, Wen?" She ruffled my hair and smiled at me. I was only eight at that time.

All through my childhood, I believed in that. But once I hit adolescence and had my first boyfriend, somehow, that belief had suddenly diminished. Every time I kissed any of my ex-boyfriends, I was hoping to find that small flutter my Mama was talking about, but, I couldn't feel it. I just felt the knots. I thought it was just a piece of crap that parents told their kids. Until one night...

It was Christmas eve and my best friend, Darren had invited me to a masquerade party at his friend's place. I didn't have anything to wear as it was a last minute invite, so, I just wore a simple white dress and just grab my sister's halloween mask to wear. I went to the party alone and was in amidst of strangers. So, I just sat at the mini bar and drank some booze there. I think it was a little after eleven when I started wandering around, trying to find the door to the exist as I wanted to leave. I finally found the door and left for the lift. As I was waiting for the lift to arrive, a guy wearing a decent mask in black and a red scarf waited beside me too. He smiled and nodded in my direction. I did the same too. We both went into the lift together. It was rather awkward as there was this silence but it was that kind of awkward silence that is not all that awkward to myself. Suddenly all went dark and the lift suddenly not functioning. I was so afraid, I couldn't see anything.

Suddenly, I felt someone's arm around my waist and someone's lips on mine. I know the first instinct I should do is to push the person away but, I felt a little flutter in my stomach. It was the flutter my Mama was talking about! All of a sudden, the lights were functioning again. I was still kissing the person. I was staring into a pair of brown eyes. After a few minutes of lip lock, the guy removed my mask. And then, he removed his. I was surprised to see it was Darren! "Wendy, I really want to tell you for many years that...I love you..." He had that hopeful twinkle in his eye. I didn't know what to say, the first question that popped up was,"Why did you kissed me?" He had that shy grin and pointed up the lift ceiling. I turned towards where he was pointing and saw a misletoe. I didn't know why but I suddenly got angry. Once the doors of the lift opened, I stormed out to the streets covered with snow. I pulled my coat tighter and walked down the street. I felt someone caught my arm and pulled me towards the person. It was Darren. He pulled me near him and kissed me and suddenly, all that doubt about him vanished. That flutter was there. And suddenly, the whole atmasphere was full of fireworks. It was just perfect. Over the loud sounds, I told Darren, "Darren! I love you too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment