Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dear Future Wife

I have a wonderful husband. He loves me very much and adores me. Kenny is a great person and I love him dearly. I am blessed to have a guy like him. We got married for nearly 25 years. Before we got married, we dated for 8 years. I was very happy during those 8 years. I fell more and more in love with Kenneth. After getting married, I gave birth to a beautiful daughter. She is 23 now and is working in another town. Even though Ken is a great guy, but something got me thinking. During our dating years, a lot of Kenny’s old time buddies warned me about Kenny’s attitude.

I remember one of his friend’s exact words, “Beware of Ken, he has a bad temper sometimes.” I tried to find out more about it, but there’s nothing to find. I couldn’t see any temper in Ken. So, I didn’t bother to find out more. One day, I was cleaning out some of Ken’s pile of paper in his study. I saw a letter in the middle of the pile. It was in a fancy envelope with Ken’s messy cursive. It was addressed to ‘My Future Wife’. I was curious about it, I then decided to open the letter. The first phrase that hit me was, ‘Dear Future Wife’ I decided to continue reading.

“Dear Future Wife,

I know you are out there somewhere. I know…you are walking somewhere on Earth, wondering about the future. Well, I wonder who you might be. I imagine you to be beautiful. I imagine your eyes will shine when I see you. I imagine you to be the most kindest person, the most generous person. I think of you ever day. I can’t wait to meet you, to know you, and also especially, to love you.

I had some regrets in the past. I rush into things to fast, and it just screws everything. Just to be frank, because I rushed into relationship, my first love, my first girl I ever dated previously, I hurt her. I…made her cry. I blew off steam. I became angry, really angry. I hurt her, really bad. I remember slapping her, thinking that it was normal in a relationship, but in the end, I knew it was not. I threw things in our apartment, making a huge mess and many tears spilled. I regretted doing so. In the end, I did something that helped her, release her from the hurt I was giving her. I let her go. I broke up with her, telling her it was my fault from the beginning till the end. I knew breaking up with her would hurt her too, as much as how it had hurt me. But I know as time pass, the wound in our hearts would heal. I remember seeing her after a couple of months of us not together. I remember seeing her smile with her friends, and a guy I could see that truly love her. I wanted to have that, but not now. I will wait for you, my future wife.

Since then, I never rushed into any serious relationship with a girl. I am just waiting for the right person to come into my life and change me. I know it would be you, my future wife. I know that you are meant to be mine when I see how any simple thing you do could change my life upside down. I want to make you feel that you are the luckiest woman in the world for you will be my princess.

I swore to myself not to get angry with you when we start dating. I swore not to hurt you, whether or not physically or mentally. I swore that I would protect you with all my heart. I swore to myself not to let you cry because of my wrong-doings. I learned from my mistakes when I was with my first girlfriend. I am letting time and God do the trick for me. I am letting them find you when the time has come. I know I will meet you then. I will let you be the happiest person on this world. I won’t hurt you, I swear I won’t.

Dear my beloved future wife, I swear on God’s name to take care of you, to love, to adore you till death to us part. I can’t wait to meet you. I do hope you are waiting for me, like how I am waiting for you. I love you, my future wife.

24th March 1982”

I actually cried reading it. I couldn’t believe it. I never knew Kenneth had a past like that. No wonder he treated me like I was the happiest girl then on Earth. I heard the front door open. I wiped the tears away, hoping Ken wouldn’t notice I was crying. But he did. “Donna, are you okay? Why are you crying?” he asked, very worried. I took out the letter and showed him. “It’s so beautiful…” I said in between sobs. He kissed me on the cheek. I asked him, “How did you know I was the one? How did you know I was going to be your wife when you first met me? How did you know I was the one?” He calmed me down. He kissed me on the lips before telling me, “I knew you were the one. I wrote in the letter my future wife was going to be special. You are special. That’s why I love you, my then-future-wife…”

No comments:

Post a Comment