Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Ring (Really short stuff)

Even though I am together with Sam for only 3 years, but I was always there by his side through thick and thin. One of them was the death of his beloved grandmother, Helen. I remember very clearly the moment he looked when he heard his grandmother had died. I saw his face turned into a sad ashen grey. His eyes just lost all hope. I could see tears coming. I remember him putting his face into his hands, trying so hard to hide the tears from me. I knew he was heartbroken. I hugged him tight and said, "I'm sorry..." And with that, he just broke down.

I went to the funeral service with him. No doubt I didn't see an inch of greve in his eyes, but I know deep down he was hurting. I held tight to his hand, I didn't know what to do at that very moment. But soon, he learned to cope. I helped him became better. Sometimes, I ask him to tell me about how special his grandparents are. I am always at awe how long the both of them are married. 60 years. I never knew people can be married for that long. But I remember Helen told me this, "I was born in a time when something is broken, we will try and fix it..." How true is that.

One day, I saw Sam acting all weird around me. I decided to confront him. "Samuel... It there anything that is bothering you?" He shook his head. "Clare, I have something to tell you..." He brought me to a bench for me to sit. "Clare, remember I told you about my grandparents and how their marriage survived for so long?" I nodded slowly, not knowing what will come next. "Well, in my grandmother's will, I inherited something from her..." He took out a small velvet box and opened it. Inside lay a very simple yet elegant. "This is the symbol of my grandparents' marriage, and she wanted me to keep it for the time being. But I think it is time to give it to the owner..." he said. I nodded and ask, "Who would that be? You mum?" He shook his head. Before I knew it, he was kneeling one leg on the floor. "No, you are..." I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe what I just heard, but also, what I heard next. "Clare, will you be my wife?" I didn't know what to say. I kneeled down in front of him. "Only if you become my husband..." I saw him smile for the first time in so many months. He hugged me tight, and kissed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment