Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pinky Promise

*Found this somewhere on facebook, twist the storyline a little. Hope you would enjoy!
 
“Pinky promise that we will get married when we are grown-ups?”

“Pinky promise…”

I was 10, Jacob was 11.

He was my play date since I was 5 in kindy. He was my classmate and partner in grade school. He was my first and only boyfriend I ever dated.

 And he is my husband.

Jacob and I got along very well when we first met each other. I liked being around him. He was the guy who made sure I was safe, I wasn’t hurt, and that I was happy.

We started as boyfriend-girlfriend relationship when we were both 10 and 11 after a ‘pinky promise’ was made. It was silly to both of our parents but to us, we were dead serious. Every day after school, we would walk home hand-in-hand. We live just a few houses away from each other. Sometimes, he would make bracelets from flowers and leaves to give it to me either on my birthday or Valentine’s Day. Often I kissed him on the cheek then. Other kids thought we were crazy. You know, ‘cooties’ and such other problems kids that age would think. Other grown-ups then find us cute and all, but never thinking that this relationship would last. Well, it did, for 11 years.

Throughout our teenage years together, we were like every other adolescent couple, we celebrated Valentine’s Day together, celebrated each other’s birthdays, and just do any silly stuff us teenagers would do. When Jacob was 19, he was enlisted into the army, but then didn’t stop me in this relationship, and certainly didn’t love him lesser. He would get deployed out to overseas for the army, but he would be back by my side soon. I prayed every day for his safety. When he gets back, I couldn’t leave him more than two seconds.

During his stay overseas with the army, Jacob and I would write as often as we could, sometimes once a week, sometimes twice or thrice a week. We would write to each other saying that we belong together forever and always.

21st December was our anniversary; it was already 11 years being together with Jacob. It was a lucky year as Jacob was not in deployment that anniversary. He took me to my favourite restaurant for dinner. He got me beautiful daisies. I was so happy that year, to be able to be with him.

“Sally, I want you to know how much I loved you for the past 11 years, ever since we made that promise.” he said. I was happy that he still remembered our silly promised as a child. “You are still that beautiful girl, with flaming red hair and breath-taking green eyes.” He continued.

“I also want you to know that once I make a promise, I will fulfill it.”

I was staring at him in curiousity. ‘What is he talking about?’

He took out a red velvet box out from his pocket. He took my hand and kneels down. “Sally, would you be at my side forever and always? Would you love me for another 11 years, 22 years, or even 99 years? Sally, would you be my wife?”

Of course, you know the answer to that. Two months later, we were married. I am a proud army wife to him.

I am married to Jacob for 35 years now with three beautiful children and an intelligent granddaughter. I still love my Jacob to the moon and back, and I know he loves me too, ever since that pinky promise was made.

No comments:

Post a Comment