Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Melody, Darling

This was a story inspired by a song. While reading this, you could listen to the song 'Little Things' by 'One Direction'. And no, I am not a Directioner, I just like this song. Presenting: "Melody, Darling"

I was married to Kevin for nearly 30 years. Kevin is a quiet guy, never really speaks him mind out for the world to hear. I, on the either hand, was the noisy, out-going one. Maybe that was the reason why I agreed in marrying him, opposites attract, right? But my elder sister was surprised that I even agreed to marry him, 30 years ago. “I remember that you wanted to be like those married couples in the movies where the guys do all those romantic, soppy things to get the girl!” she said when I told her I was engaged to Kevin.

What she said was true; I was a dreamer when I was a teen. I wanted a guy to do all those romantic things during dates. But Kevin was never like that. He was the serious kind of guy and all.  I guess I grew up. People change, right?

I love Kevin for all I know. But I never knew how much he loved me, or that why did he loved me enough to proposed to me. I found out not during the wedding ceremony, but at the wedding reception.

I remembered the night of the wedding reception after the ceremony, I was so happy. All of our friends and family were there to celebrate our wedding. It was before cutting the wedding cake when Kevin decided to call for everybody’s attention. He stood up, took a fork and gently tap it on his champagne glass, giving a clean, and sophisticated ‘Clink-ing’ sound. “Everybody, I have something to tell all of you!” I could hear him say. Suddenly, everything was silent.

He stood up on a chair. I could see how nervous he was up on that chair. I didn’t know what he was doing. I was pretty worried he would fall off the chair. “Everyone, I wanted to say something before we cut the wedding cake.”

He cleared his throat and continued, “I just wanted to say thank you very much for being here today for both Melody and I for our wedding.” I hear a small applause at the back of me. I smiled to see him up there. But little did I know that he was far from over.

“I wanted to tell everybody the reason why I married Melody.

I loved Melody more than I love myself. I know that it is not visible to your eyes how much I loved her because I am not a do-er nor a talker, because I am not really a romantic person. I do try. But today, I want to show Melody how much I love her.

Melody darling, you are my sunshine to my life, the gem of my mind, the story of my future, the one to who would go through the thick and thin with me.

Melody dear, your hand fits into mine perfectly when I hold your hand; I love how you would smile, with those beautiful dimples.

Melody love, I know how you hate to see those crinkles by your eyes when you smile, but your eyes are just beautiful. I know how much you hated those skinny jeans do to your thighs and bottoms, I know how much you hate looking at yourself in the mirror, listening to yourself sing on recording, but I love you for who you are, the adorable, funny, beautiful you.

Melody, beautiful Melody, I know how you needed a drink of warm milk every night before you sleep, I love listening to you sleep-talking, I swear to God to never to say to anyone about the conversations you have at night, even though it made no sense to me. I love how I would trace my fingers on the freckles on your cheeks; you looked like an angel asleep.

I know how you would never love yourself half as much as I love you. But I want you to. I want you to treat yourself right, I want you to love yourself as much as I do.

I want to tell you that I will always be with you whenever you need me. I know that I don’t say all this many times in the past or even the future, but I will try. Because, Melody dear, I love you…

I remember crying when I heard his wedding speech. I hear a lot of clapping from everybody around me. I saw him walking towards me and he hugged me. I know how much he loved me then and even now.

I would still relive the memory of the speech he gave that night, remembering those exact words, while smelling the beautiful flowers he gets me every day, at 55 years old. I heard the back door opened and someone behind my chair. “Hello Melody darling…” And he kissed me on the cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment