Friday, December 30, 2011

The One That Got Away

I'm a 70 years old woman. I was arguing with my husband over petty things until I got so fed up and left for the kitchen. "I love you..." he called out to me, but I didn't bother to reply. I made a cup of coffee then suddenly, my mind wandered off to my younger days, to which I smile at...

I remembered having my first boyfriend during high school. He was like my Johnny Cash while I am his June. I remember kissing for the first time in his Mustang. I loved him very much then. I remember we would go to his attic and sketch pictures of each other but his was better than mine. I remember he would do anything I wanted to do, even making a tattoo for me. I remember us stealing some liqour in my Dad's cupboard and snucked up to the roof to drink. We would talk of our ambitions, the future and about us like getting married and to live happily ever after till we are old. But I never thought that we won't be together long.

On my 18 birthday, we went to a dance at the local hall. We danced all night long. I went over to his place for the night once the dance was over. "Hey Cathy, do you want me to do your tattoo for you?" he asked. I giggled, "Okay, let's do it..." Let me tell you, it hurts so bad when he did the tattoo. He would kiss me every-now-and-then. His kisses somehow soothes the pain. By the next morning, we both had matching tattoos on our arms.

Now my hands and arms are wrinkled, but I could still see the faded tattoo on my left wrist. I suddenly felt sad. I went up to the bedroom and locked myself in there. The memories of him suddenly came back...

Our relationship together are not all the time good. There are bittersweet moments too. After nearing our second year together, our relationship suddenly became sour. He would get pissed off easily and I would be mad of him for a long time. There was once I really made him pissed and that cost his life.

We were fighting quite badly and splashed one of his paintings with red ink. He got even more mad and left the place in the middle of the storm. I decided to just sleep and cool off.

The next morning, he didn't came back. I waited till noon and went over to his parents' home to find him. When I got there, his Mum answered the door. His Mum was crying. I gave her a hug and asked her what was wrong. "Dave... He died..." I couldn't believe what I have just heard. "That can't be..." I whispered. His mum told me bit by bit through all the tears. Dave was driving in the middle of the night. Dave was driving in the rain. Dave was trying to drive past the boulder in the middle of the road. Dave's car skidded and flew down from the cliff. Dave's car caught fire. Dave died.

I couldn't believe what she had said. Deep down, I know his death was my fault, all my fault. I went back home and cried for months, in guilt.

Now, thinking back of Dave, I couldn't help but cry. I love him and still do even though I am married now. I took my car keys and drove to the cliffside. There, I couldn't help but just cry. Whenever I closed my eyes, I could feel Dave hugging me. 'Dave, I miss you...and I'm sorry...'

*This was inspired by Katy Perry's "The One That Got Away"

No comments:

Post a Comment